Sunday, June 17, 2007

Mighty Mo Launches: M1350 VS M1480

My L3 Cert flight with the Mighty Mo rocket was on an AMW 1350 White Wolf at The 2007 Florida Winter Nationals. My second M flight was on a AMW M1480 Red Rhino at the Southern Thunder 2007 launch. The MAWD altimeter data for both flights is below.
The altitude was about the same. There is less noise on the descent from apogee to the main with the M1480. I am thinking the difference was that the timer charge deployed ahead of the altimeters on the M1350 Cert flight. This meant that there was some upward velocity which initiated a tumbling of the payload and the booster end over end. On the M1480 flight I had the advantage of the M1350 flight actual data to set the timer. Another factor could have been that the drogue deployed on the M1480 flight. It did not deploy on the M1350 flight because I left a rubber band around the Kevlar protector I had around the drogue. So the M1480 was as perfect as I could ask for. I hope my next flight is as successful. I have an AMW M1850 Green Gorilla for a Samson flight. I just have not picked the month.

No comments: